Tuesday 18 December 2007

In Memory of Ciocia Helena

My mom called me at work today with news that my aunt, Helena, my mom's last surviving sibling, had passed at a hospital in Mlawa, Poland.

My aunt had been in poor health over the past few years. Things were getting worse over the past few months. She was admitted to the hospital about a month ago. My mom is arranging transportation to Poland.

I have wonderful memories of my Aunt. The last time I saw her was when she attended our wedding in Kitchener back in 1995. I remember climbing the flights of stairs to get to her fourth floor apartment in Szczecin. I remember taking the tram line out to the factory she used to work at. I remember the phone calls where she asked why I don't write her enough. I remember a person full of energy and happiness. I remember nothing but having a good time in her presence.

Ciocia Helena, you will be missed.

Ja Kocham Ciebie.

Adam