Friday 22 May 2009

Geocaching

While at Camp Cedarwin, Corbin came across some Scouts who were Geocaching. What is Geocaching? According to Wikipedia:

"Geocaching is an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world.

Treasure. Check. Hunting. Check. Game. Check. Electronic device that tells you where you are. Check. Of course, Corbin is going to like this (and so am I - a geek for electronic gadgets).

So I did some quick research and the GPS receivers start from reasonable $150 up to a whopping $600 plus. Wow. There are so many units with different options. My head started spinning.

I found that a new version of "An Idiots Guide to Geocaching" was being released. One day, after soccer practise, I took Corbin up to Chapters and picked up the book. He was excited. I told him that after he was done reading the book and after I had a chance to review the key chapters, that, then and only then, would I look into buying a GPS unit. He agreed.

Corbin has been reading the book. He is not finished yet. I'll have to encourage him, so we can start this new hobby during the summer.

Stay tuned.

Posted by Adam

No comments: