Thursday 11 October 2007

New Computer

Tina has been on me to get a new computer in light of Jeremy starting school and Corbin having a laptop at school. I think she wants the laptop all to herself. So me being me, I research (aka procrastinate). I was looking to buy a machine that had some power and options that I liked and that would not have to be upgraded in a year's time.

I saw a desktop package online at Future Shop consisting on an HP Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz Computer (M9040N) and a HP 22-inch LCD monitor. The price for the package was $1599.99. However, the HP monitors are glossy and I don't like seeing the reflection of lights and things in the room.

The next day I noticed that all desktop computers were 10% off - one of the 25 days of web deals. The M9040N was on sale as were two 22-inch widescreen LCD monitors - an LG and a Samsung. I did some research and settled on the Samsung 226BW. I had previously owned a Samsung SyncMaster CRT monitor that was exceptional. I sold it to a friend who still uses it.

I ordered the computer and monitor online choosing the pick up option. About 40 or so minutes later, I received the email confirming the order and that it was ready for pick up.

After supper, Jeremy and I headed over first to Future Shop to pick up the computer and then to Best Buy so Jeremy could buy some DVDs. Along the way, Jeremy stated that "this is not the way to Best Buy". I responded that we had to go to Future Shop first to get the new computer and then we would go to Best Buy.

I love pick up at Future Shop. No hassles. No selling any service plans. They take a hard copy of your email, get the order, ask for your credit card, you sign a receipt and away you go. Jeremy played his 'cute' role. He thought he could help me by carrying the monitor - I don't think so. We loaded the boxes into the van and headed to Best Buy.

At Best Buy, I bought some CD-RW to record songs on and Jeremy bought a Scooby Doo DVD and a Backyardigans Super Secret Super Spy DVD. I signed up for the Reward Zone card, seeing as we do purchase items on a regular basis from Best Buy.

Returned home and Tina couldn't believe how narrow the box for the monitor was. I put the boxes in the office out of the way. I'll set up the computer tomorrow afternoon.

Posted by Adam

No comments: